Writer. Journalist. Dance Reviewer.
Graduate of the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
Fully qualified graduate of an industry recognised National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) fast-track diploma course with News Associates, Wimbledon.
Organised, approachable, curious and committed, I enjoy researching, writing and communicating.
Experience as a reporter in local press and as a writer – specialising in theatre and dance – for numerous websites.
Lifelong passion for theatre and dance – continued training in classical ballet, contemporary and jazz dance technique.
Experience as a ballet/dance teacher.
My ongoing pedagogical interests in dance and strong work ethic are demonstrated by my acceptance – and achievements – on a higher education course in Dance Education with the Royal Academy of Dance.
Knowledge of dance and the arts notably used for theatre and dance reviews and dancer/performer interviews.
- Featured in the Royal Academy of Dance 2017 social media campaign ‘Meet the Student’ (February 2017).
- Awarded an academic bursary by the Faculty of Education at the Royal Academy of Dance (July 2016).
- “Distinction” grade for the Royal Academy of Dance’s Diploma in Dance Education (July 2016).
- “Distinction” grade for the Royal Academy of Dance’s Certificate in Dance Education (July 2015).
- Selected as an English National Ballet ‘Dance is the Word’ writer (May 2014).
- Selected as an ‘Emerging Dance Writer’ for Cloud Dance Festival: Showtime (London, November 2013).
- “A” grades throughout National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) studies.
- Ongoing editorial experience with Johnston Press.
- Experienced and knowledgeable dance/theatre reviewer and interviewer (premieres/principal dancers).
- Contributions to “The Beaver”, newspaper of the Students’ Union at the London School of Economics.
- Complete Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Classical Ballet qualifications.
Dance Writer: Culture Whisper (www.culturewhisper.com)
January 2015 – Current
- Researching and writing previews of current and forthcoming dance productions.
- Liaising with press officers, event organisers and dance companies to confirm details and source images.
Writer: Ballet Papier (www.balletpapier.com)
May 2014 – Current
- Researching and writing stories for a ballet-themed decorative arts brand’s blog.
- I penned the inaugural post for the blog and regularly contribute ballet and dance-themed biographies and posts.
Writer: Total MK (www.totalmk.co.uk)
April 2014 – Current
- Sourcing, researching and writing stories for a newly-launched leisure and entertainment website targeted at people in Milton Keynes.
- Community News, Previews, Reviews, Features, Interviews.
- Arranging and conducting interviews.
Platinum Dance Academy, Milton Keynes.
January 2016 – Current
- Devising introductory ballet class content suitable for students aged 5 years and up.
- Delivering classes which aim to enable freestyle dance students to experience how a ballet class is structured, establish and develop basic ballet technique and inspire students to further their interests in, and understanding of, a new dance style.
Assistant/Cover Ballet Teacher.
Website & Social Media Consultant.
The Rosemary Lane School of Ballet & Theatre Dance, Milton Keynes.
September 2014 – Current
- Assisting in pre-school, pre-primary and primary dancing classes for children aged 2½ to 7 years old.
- Covering the teaching of Royal Academy of Dance syllabus classes (grades and vocational grades) and non-syllabus classes (for all ages and abilities, including adults) as required.
- Devising and teaching content for regular non-syllabus classes, including pointe classes.
- Providing support in the preparation of candidates for examinations and ensuring the smooth-running of examinations on the day.
- Preparing and rehearsing students for performances, including the School’s biennial production.
- Reviving the School’s website (established a user-friendly site layout, created and curated content, sourced photographs).
- Establishing the School’s presence on social media and seeking out potential marketing opportunities.
Contributing Reporter: Johnston Press – Milton Keynes Citizen
July 2009 – Current
- A wide range of pieces published, in print and on the web.
- Front Page “Splash” pieces, page leads, fillers, news-in-brief, numerous bylines.
- Use of CMS (Content Management Systems), web uploading, SEO, social media.
- Responsible for sourcing and editing content for the “Schools and Learning” pages.
- Responsible for deputising for the Leisure Editor when required.
- News, Features, Reviews, Interviews, Online Content.
- Pitching stories, Initiative.
- Communication, Team-work, Interview technique (both on the telephone and face-to-face).
- Writing ability (capturing the in-house style) – versatility demonstrated across publications for different audiences (magazines, supplements, news, features, website).
- Experience includes inquests, public events, demonstrations, school events, feature visits, theatre press calls, theatre reviews.
Multi-skilled part-time colleague at ASDA Superstore
September 2005 – Current
- I joined the Milton Keynes store when it first opened as part of the original team.
- As a customer-facing colleague I handle customer queries (both in person and on the telephone), replenish stock, and oversee a variety of tasks in the warehouse.
- Flexibility, friendliness, enthusiasm and the ability to interact with all types of people are necessary qualities that have been honed since I have been employed by ASDA.
- Trained in processes across departments, including shop floor sections, warehouse, checkouts and point of sale (POS) promotional aids.
- Trained First Aider.
- Trained Fire Warden.
Royal Academy of Dance (September 2015 – July 2016)
Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education (achieved with DISTINCTION)
- Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Faculty of Education / University of Bath (FHEQ Level 5)
The Nature of Dance (Philosophical perspectives on the nature and function of dance)
Perspectives on Learning and Teaching (Theories of pedagogy applied to dance)
Safe Practice and Improving Performance (inc. Physiological and Psychological factors in relation to dance performance and dance teaching practice)
Perspectives on Music and Dance (inc. Critical, Philosophical and Aesthetic concepts relevant to the study of music in dance; Musical aspects of selected repertoires, practices and dance forms; Implications of diverse analytical models of music and dance for dance practice, education and training)
Dance in the Community (inc. Considerations of dance as a participatory art form; Reflection upon how context can affect planning and delivery of dance activity; Notions of dance as a tool for social engagement, empowerment and enjoyment)
Royal Academy of Dance (September 2014 – July 2015)
Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education (achieved with DISTINCTION)
- Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Faculty of Education / University of Bath (FHEQ Level 4)
Frameworks & Perspectives (Dance Analysis; Benesh Movement Notation; Labanotation)
The Healthy Dancer (inc. Anatomy; Alignment; Conditioning; Injury; Nutrition; Safe Practice)
Dance Education: Concepts and Contexts (Critical examination of pedagogy in different settings)
Music in Dance and Dance Education (inc. Music Theory; Role of Music; Musicality; Music & Dance)
Dance Syllabi and Examinations (Reflection on Teacher’s Role; Training Methods; Ethical Practice)
Green Cross First Aid Training (July 2015)
Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work (QCF) issued by Training Qualifications UK Ltd
Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge and understanding of theory related to coping with first aid emergencies in any environment.
Successfully applied effective first aid skills during practical exercises.
Content covered included: The Unconscious Casualty; Breathing Problems; Wounds & Bleeding; Bones, Muscle & Joint Injuries; Burns & Scalds; Poisoning; Medical Emergencies (anaphylaxis/ angina/ heart attack/ asthma/ epilepsy & seizures/ fainting/ diabetes/ stroke).
NCTJ Fast-Track (News Associates, Wimbledon, London) (September 2010 – February 2011)
Shorthand at 100 wpm (PASS)
Reporting (C – 54)
Essential Media Law (A – 85)
Essential Public Affairs (A – 74)
Media Law Court Reporting (A – 86)
Multi Media Portfolio (A – 71)
Production Journalism (B – 62)
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) (2007 – 2010)
BSc (Hons) Sociology (2:1)
Consistently high academic performance throughout (1st or 2:1 in every assessment).
Completed a Dissertation titled:
‘Gender representation in practice and performance of classical ballet – reflection and contradiction of conventional gender norms.’
Contributed to ‘The Beaver’ (the weekly newspaper of the LSE Students’ Union).
Sixth Form (Denbigh School, Milton Keynes) (2005 – 2007)
4 A Levels:
- 3 x A (English Language & Literature, Sociology, Psychology)
- 1 x C (French)
Secondary School (Denbigh School, Milton Keynes) (2001 – 2005)
- 4 x A* (Sociology, Humanities – top mark in the country -, English Language, Design Technology)
- 4 x A (Dance, French, German, English Literature)
- 3 x B (Double Science, Mathematics)
Vocational Qualifications (Dance) (1996 – 2009)
Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Classical Ballet
- Primary to Grade 8 with Distinction
- ‘Advanced’ Level Vocational Qualifications (professional examination route; progression for teaching).
Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD) Jazz Dance and Modern Theatre Dance
- Jazz Dance: Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards (‘A’ grades)
- Modern Theatre Dance syllabus examinations (‘A’ grades)
- Modern Theatre Dance ‘Intermediate’ Vocational Qualifications (professional examination route; progression for teaching)